Even if I’m the only girl in the family, I still grew up watching the classic Disney movies, but to be honest, Aurora was the least of my favourite; however, there were many reasons why I still ended up wanting to watch the movie, “Maleficent”. First, after three years of acting hiatus, Angelina Jolie is finally back and it was just impossible to miss her excellent acting skills and stunning beauty (her cheekbones are bomb). Second, I have seen a lot buzz on Twitter about it, so I really got curious on what this movie really offers. And lastly, it is still a Disney movie after all… why would I miss it?
I was shocked on how Maleficent turned out to be a really excellent movie. There were so many lessons that lie in the middle of the story. As promised, here are the five things I learned from Maleficent:
1. Never make a decision when your emotions are all over the place. Maleficent was regretful with the curse she put to Aurora during her christening. When she grasped that Aurora didn’t deserve what was given to her, she tried her best to revoke it; however, she couldn’t do anything because the decision she made years ago cannot be broken. This teaches us that we should be far more than careful because, sometimes, when things have been said and done, nothing can abrogate it.
2. No matter how bad it is, a broken heart can be restored. We have witnessed Maleficent’s struggle, anger and pain when she discovered that Stefan tricked her and cut off her wings due to greed of power and glory. After that, she became the villain we expect she would be, her spirit was crushed, but time heals pain after all. After putting a curse on baby Aurora, her heart began to restore. She was the one who looked over Aurora when the clumsy fairies struggled to raise her. After some time, she learned to genuinely smile like she did before she met Stefan, and found her way to be happy again, so no matter how badly we’ve been hurt, the possibility of healing will always be there. You cannot always force it to come, but once it starts, the pain will subside slowly, but surely.
3. There is always the other side of the story. Growing up, I just knew that there was this bad witch who put a curse on Sleeping Beauty. The Villain. Done. However, when I watched the movie, I realised that it was more than a villain. Maleficent opens not only our eyes, but our hearts that no matter how drastic it is, there will always be two sides of the story. Never close the possibility of an another story. Give it a chance and hear it, because you will never know. Search out the truth, not just the story that sounds good to your ears.
4. We will always need someone. As seen in the movie, Maleficent and Aurora saved each other from their own troubles. Maleficent tried her best to revoke the curse, but even if she wasn’t able to, they still found a way to save her. While Aurora, on the other hand, gave back Maleficent’s wings. To all the girls out there, there will always be a point in your life when you will be badly needing a catch, but not specifically a guy to save you from the drastic things that are happening.
5. You can always choose your identity, a hero or a villain? Maleficent became the hero of her own villain story. Never settle for a label the people usually give you, you are always more than what they think and say you are. After all, it is always your choice who to become.